Introduction
The Jharkhand JSSC-CGL Exam Cancellation has become a major development in the ongoing student protest over alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations.
The Jharkhand government cancelled the JSSC-CGL exam along with recruitment tests conducted by TSR Data Processing Pvt Ltd (TDPL) since 2014. The decision was announced after Chief Minister Hemant Soren chaired a Cabinet meeting on Monday.
The move addresses one of the main demands of the protesting students. However, the agitation has not ended as students continue to demand a CBI probe into the alleged irregularities.
Government Cancels JSSC-CGL Exam
Chief Minister Hemant Soren announced the cancellation after the Cabinet meeting at the state secretariat. He said the JSSC-CGL exam was one of the major demands raised by the protesting students.
The government also cancelled examinations conducted by TDPL since 2014. The results published through these examinations will also be cancelled.
Exam Reforms Committee Announced
The government has also announced an exam reforms committee. Senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal will head the panel.
The committee will recommend measures to make recruitment examinations more transparent and reliable. The government also plans to strictly enforce its anti-unfair-means law.
Students Continue Protest
Students welcomed the cancellation of the examinations and were seen celebrating outside the protest site. Some protesters also waved the Tricolour after the announcement.
However, the decision did not end the agitation. Students are still demanding a CBI investigation into the alleged examination irregularities.
Hunger Strike
The protest had entered its 25th day when the government announced the decision. Several students had also been on hunger strike.
Student leader Devendra Mahto had fasted for 16 days before ending his hunger strike. Five other protesters were still continuing their fast.
Sonam Wangchuk Reacts
Activist Sonam Wangchuk congratulated Mahto during a video call. He described the government’s decision as a victory for everyone.
Wangchuk said the development could allow both the students and the government to move forward. His comments came as protesters celebrated the exam cancellation.
CBI Probe Remains Key Demand
The students’ main remaining demand is a CBI probe. They believe an independent investigation is needed to establish responsibility for the alleged irregularities.
Rahul Kranti, one of the protesting students, said the agitation would continue unless the government accepted the demand. Some protesters have also been receiving medical treatment during the demonstration.
August 20 Demonstration
The protesters had earlier announced plans to gherao the Chief Minister’s residence on August 20. They had also appealed to students from across Jharkhand to gather in Ranchi.
The latest government decision could influence the plans. However, the students’ decision will depend on further discussions with the government.
Successful Candidates Protest
The cancellation has also created concern among candidates who cleared the JSSC-CGL examination. Some successful candidates gathered outside the state secretariat to oppose the decision.
They argued that they had earned their government jobs through the recruitment process. Reports suggest that around 2,000 candidates could be affected by the cancellation.
BJP Supports CBI Probe
The opposition BJP has supported the students’ demand for a CBI investigation. Leader of Opposition Babulal Marandi urged the government to accept the demand.
Marandi questioned why the government should fear a CBI probe if it was confident about the recruitment process. He also warned that continued inaction could lead to more protests.
CID Investigation Continues
Meanwhile, the CID investigation into the alleged irregularities is continuing. Officials have conducted raids linked to the case, including at the JSSC office.
The government has said that investigators have found several unexpected factors during the probe. Authorities are also examining the possible involvement of companies in an alleged examination racket.
What Happens Next?
The Jharkhand JSSC-CGL Exam Cancellation is a major development in the student movement. However, the controversy is not over yet.
Students continue to demand a CBI probe, while successful candidates want their jobs protected. The government must now address both concerns.
The new exam reforms committee will also have an important role. Its recommendations could shape the future of recruitment examinations in Jharkhand.
For thousands of government job aspirants, the issue goes beyond one examination. They want a recruitment system that is fair, transparent and trusted by everyone.





